Photo #: NH 2875-A
Greely Relief Expedition, 1884
The six survivors of the U.S. Army's Greely Arctic expedition with their U.S. Navy rescuers, at Upernavik, Greenland, 2-3 July 1884. Probably photographed on board USS Thetis.
Those present are (as numbered on the original print):
1. Commander Winfield S. Schley, USN, commanding officer, Greely Relief Expedition, and of USS Thetis;
2. Lieutenant William H. Emory, Jr., commanding officer of USS Bear;
3. Commander George W. Coffin, USN, commanding officer of Steamer Alert;
4. Lieutenant Emory H. Taunt, USN, Thetis;
5. Lieutenant (Junior Grade) Samuel C. Lemly, USN, Thetis;
6. Lieutenant Freeman H. Crosby, USN, Bear;
7. Lieutenant (Junior Grade) John C. Colwell, USN, Bear;
8. Lieutenant (Junior Grade) Nathaniel R. Usher, USN, Bear;
9. Lieutenant (Junior Grade) Charles J. Badger, USN, Alert;
10. Lieutenant (Junior Grade) Henry J. Hunt, USN, Alert;
11. Ensign Washington I. Chambers, USN, Thetis;
12. Ensign Charles H. Harlow, USN, Thetis;
13. Ensign Lovell K. Reynolds, USN, Bear;
14. Ensign Charles S. McClain, USN, Alert;
15. Ensign Albert A. Ackerman, USN, Alert;
16. Chief Engineer George W. Melville, USN, Thetis;
17. Chief Engineer John Lowe, USN, Bear;
18. Passed Assistant Engineer William H. Nauman, USN, Alert;
19. Passed Assistant Surgeon Edward H. Green, USN, Thetis;
20. Passed Assistant Surgeon Howard E. Ames, USN, Bear;
21. Passed Assistant Surgeon Francis S. Nash, USN, Alert;
22. First Lieutenant Adolphus W. Greely, U.S. Army;
23. Private Julius Frederick, U.S. Army;
24. Sergeant David L. Brainard, U.S. Army;
25. Private Henry Bierderbick, U.S. Army;
26. Private Maurice Connell, U.S. Army;
27. Private Francis Long, U.S. Army;
28. Lieutenant Uriel Sebree, USN, Thetis;
See Photo # NH 2875 for a copy of this image without the numbers.
U.S. Naval Historical Center Photograph.
Online Image: 161KB; 740 x 620 pixels
Click on the small photograph to prompt a larger view of the same image.
If you want higher resolution reproductions than this digital image, see: "How to Obtain Photographic Reproductions."
19 November 2003