Return to Naval Historical Center home page. Return to Online Library listing

DEPARTMENT OF THE NAVY -- NAVAL HISTORICAL CENTER
805 KIDDER BREESE SE -- WASHINGTON NAVY YARD
WASHINGTON DC 20374-5060

Online Library of Selected Images
Ships of the Spanish-American War--
Cruisers--USS New Orleans

One of a once-numerous type of British-constructed protected cruisers, USS New Orleans (1898-1929) was purchased from the Brazilian Navy in March 1898 when nearly completed. After receiving quick modifications to fit her for U.S. Navy service, she was actively employed in the Cuba and Caribbean areas during the Spanish-American War.

Her sister ship, USS Albany, purchased at the same time, was not completed for another two years. Both of these cruisers remained active until the early 1920s.

This page features views of New Orleans.

If better quality reproductions than these digital images are desired, see "How to Obtain Photographic Reproductions."

In all cases, clicking on the small photograph will prompt a larger view of the same image.

Photo #: NH 45112

USS New Orleans (1898-1929)


Photographed circa March-April 1898, possibly in a British port prior to her departure for the United States. Note rowing craft in the foreground.

U.S. Naval Historical Center Photograph.

Online Image: 62,050 bytes; 740 x 525 pixels

 
Photo #: NH 45115

USS New Orleans (1898-1929)


Photographed during the Spanish-American War, 1898.

U.S. Naval Historical Center Photograph.

Online Image: 62,296 bytes; 740 x 615 pixels

 
Photo #: NH 85648

USS New Orleans (1898-1929)


Halftone photograph, taken during the Spanish-American War and published in the book War in Cuba, 1898.

Courtesy of Alfred Cellier, 1977.

U.S. Naval Historical Center Photograph.

Online Image: 55,883 bytes; 740 x 490 pixels

 
Photo #: NH 45116

USS New Orleans (1898-1929)


Dressed with flags, 1898. Note this British-built cruiser's elaborate stern decoration, and the civilian rowboat in foreground.

U.S. Naval Historical Center Photograph.

Online Image: 53,958 bytes; 490 x 770 pixels

 

Return to Naval Historical Center home page.

28 February 1998