Return to Naval Historical Center home page. Return to Online Library listing

DEPARTMENT OF THE NAVY -- NAVAL HISTORICAL CENTER
805 KIDDER BREESE SE -- WASHINGTON NAVY YARD
WASHINGTON DC 20374-5060

Online Library of Selected Images
Ships of the Spanish-American War--
Battleships--USS Iowa

USS Iowa (Battleship # 4) was built between 1893 and 1897. She joined the blockading forces off Cuba in late May 1898, and participated in the Battle of Santiago on 3 July. Converted into a radio- controlled target ship following the First World War, she was sunk by U.S. Navy battleship gunfire in 1923.

This page features views of the Iowa, including photographs taken on board the ship.

If better quality reproductions than these digital images are desired, see "How to Obtain Photographic Reproductions."

In all cases, clicking on the small photograph will prompt a larger view of the same image.

Photo #: NH 73976

USS Iowa (BB-4)


Running trials in 1897. She is flying the flag of her builder, William Cramp & Sons, of Philadelphia, PA.

Courtesy of the Naval Historical Foundation, Washington, DC.

U.S. Naval Historical Center Photograph.

Online Image: 58,802 bytes; 740 x 618 pixels

 
Photo #: NH 61212

USS Iowa (BB-4)


Photograph taken in 1898.

U.S. Naval Historical Center Photograph.

Online Image: 55,088 bytes; 800 x 591 pixels

 
Photo #: NH 53257

USS Iowa (BB-4)


Photograph taken in 1897 or early 1898, with USS Columbia (C-12) in the right background. Halftone photograph, copied from the contemporary publication Uncle Sam's Navy, 1898.

U.S. Naval Historical Center Photograph.

Online Image: 72,573 bytes; 740 x 636 pixels

 
Photo #: NH 93702

USS Iowa (BB-4)


At anchor, circa August 1898. The original photograph was published on a stereograph card copyrighted by J.F. Jarvis, Washington, DC, 1898.

Courtesy of Commander Donald J. Robinson, USN(Ret), 1982.

U.S. Naval Historical Center Photograph.

Online Image: 62,763 bytes; 585 x 660 pixels

 
Photo #: NH 87

USS Iowa (BB-4)


Crewmen photographed in front of the battleship's forward 12"/35 gun turret, 1898. Note that the ship has been partially repainted to (or from) wartime grey. Also note the ship's bell below the pilothouse.

U.S. Naval Historical Center Photograph.

Online Image: 58,983 bytes; 740 x 538 pixels

 

Return to Naval Historical Center home page.

15 February 1998