Return to Naval Historical Center home page. Return to Online Library listing

DEPARTMENT OF THE NAVY -- NAVAL HISTORICAL CENTER
805 KIDDER BREESE SE -- WASHINGTON NAVY YARD
WASHINGTON DC 20374-5060

Online Library of Selected Images
EVENTS--Spanish-American War--
Battle of Manila Bay, 1 May 1898 --
Monuments and Momentos of the Battle

If higher resolution reproductions than these digital images are desired, see "How to Obtain Photographic Reproductions."

In all cases, clicking on the small photograph will prompt a larger view of the same image.

Photo #: NH 92315

Cavite Navy Yard, Philippine Islands


Captured Spanish guns on display at Cavite, circa 1900.

U.S. Naval Historical Center Photograph.

Online Image: 64,541 bytes; 740 x 490 pixels

 
Photo #: NH 88547

Cavite Navy Yard, Philippine Islands


Flagstaff on which the first United States flag to fly over the Philippines was hoisted at 8 AM, 3 May 1898. Photograped circa 1915-16.

Collection of C.A. Shively, 1978.

U.S. Naval Historical Center Photograph.

Online Image: 52,160 bytes; 465 x 775 pixels

 
Photo #: NH 92317

Cavite Navy Yard, Philippine Islands


Commemorative tablet, photographed sometime between 1917 and 1942. It marks the flagstaff on which the United States flag was first raised over the Philippines, at 8 AM on 3 May 1898. The tablet was erected and dedicated on 23 September 1917 by Post Ward Cheney No. 30, Veterans of the Foreign Wars, while Captain Edward Simpson, USN, was Yard Commandant.

U.S. Naval Historical Center Photograph.

Online Image: 85,230 bytes; 740 x 545 pixels

 
Photo #: NH 75566

USS Olympia (C-6)


View of the ship's forward 8"/35 gun turret, showing plaque between the guns commemorating the Battle of Manila Bay, 1 May 1898. Plaque ribbon inscription is "Gridley you may fire when ready". Photographed circa 1900. Note sailor in front of the turret, wearing a red cross armband.

Courtesy of the Naval Historical Foundation, 1972.

U.S. Naval Historical Center Photograph.

Online Image: 86,809 bytes; 545 x 775 pixels

 

Return to Naval Historical Center home page.

28 March 1998