Online Library of Selected Images:
-- U.S. NAVY AIRCRAFT --
1922-1962 DESIGNATION SYSTEM
The U.S. Navy Aircraft - 1922-1962 Designation System section of the Online Library provides ready access to pictures of those U.S. Navy airplanes and lighter-than-air craft that had alpha-numeric designators assigned under the scheme adopted in 1922 and replaced in 1962 by the presently-used system.
This page lists all U.S. Navy aircraft designated under the 1922-1962 system for which pictorial presentations are currently available through the Online Library.
If the aircraft you want is not listed on this page, contact the Photographic Section concerning other research options.
Aircraft are listed below in alphabetical order, by their initial TYPE DESIGNATION letter. Scan down the list until you find the aircraft you want, then click its entry to access appropriate image presentation pages.
- Fighters - "F" Type Designation Letter:
- Utility Airplanes - "J" Type Designation Letter:
- Training Airplanes - "N" Type Designation Letter:
- Scout-Observation Airplanes - "SO" Type Designation Letters:
- Torpedo-Bombers - "TB" Type Designation Letters:
- Lighter-than-Air Craft - "Z" Type Designation Letter:
To the best of our knowledge, the pictures provided in the Online Library of Selected Images are all in the Public Domain, and can therefore be freely downloaded and used for any purpose.
For higher resolution images see: Obtaining Photographic Reproductions