Light House Tender Cedar. "U.S. Lighthouse Tender Cedar, Built by Calif. Ship Building Co., Long Beach, California 1916." Builder's hull plating model, ca. 1916, scale 1:48. Naval Historical Center Collections.
Measuring over 200 feet, Cedar was the largest light house tender built by the U.S. Lighthouse Service. The small Lighthouse service black-hulled fleet later became a part of the Coast Guard. Cedar was designed for extended cruises in Alaskan waters and saw limited naval service in World War One. During World War Two she took part in the Aleutian Campaign. The ship was decommissioned on 29 June 1950 and sold in 1955.
This highly accurate model (now painted over) was used by the California Ship Building Company to determine the shape of the steel plates comprising Cedar's hull.
Noble, Dennis L. Lighthouses & Keepers. The U.S. Lighthouse Service and Its Legacy. Annapolis MD: Naval Institute, 1997.
Ship Model Table of Contents
7 November 2003