Honda (Pedernales) Point, California, Disaster, 8 September 1923
Selected Naval Documents
1. Captain D.C. Nutting, (CC) USN, Bethlehem Shipbuilding Corporation, San Francisco, California. To: Commandant, Twelfth Naval District, San Francisco. Subject: Grounding of Destroyers near Honda, California Report of. Dated 13 Sep. 1923.
2. Captain D. C. Nutting (CC), USN, Bethlehem Shipbuilding Corporation, San Francisco, California. Report on visit to the vessels aground near Honda, California. Dated 18 Sept. 1923.
3. The Commander Destroyer Squadrons. To: The Destroyer Squadrons. Subject: Conduct of Officers and Men at time of Stranding of Destroyers off Point Arguello, California. 20 Sep. 1923.
4. Commander Destroyer Squadron Eleven. To: Commander Destroyer Squadrons, BF. Subject: Recommendation for Medals of Honor, Life Saving Medals and Letters of Commendation for certain Officers and men for special meritorious conduct and acts of Gallantry at time of Stranding of Destroyers at Point Pedernales, California. Dated 20 Sep. 1923.
5. Lieutenant Charles F. Osborn, (CC), US Navy. To: The Commander, Destroyer Squadrons, Battle Fleet. Subject: Salvaging OperationsHonda, California. Dated 3 Oct. 1923.
6. Lieutenant Charles F. Osborn, Officer in Charge at Scene of Destroyer Wrecks. To: Commander, Destroyer Squadrons, Battle Fleet. Subject: Hulls of Wrecked Destroyers, disposition of. Dated 16 and 19 Oct. 1923.
7. Commander Destroyer Squadron Eleven. To: Commander Destroyer Squadrons, Battle Fleet. Subject: Conduct of officers and men at time of stranding of Destroyers off Point Pedernales, California. Dated 17 Oct. 1923.
8. Lieutenant Charles F. Osborn (CC), US Navy, Officer-in-Charge at scene of Destroyer Wrecks, Honda, Calif. To Commandant, Twelfth Naval District, and Operating Base, San Francisco, California. Subject: Ammunition on Wrecked Destroyers. Dated 19 Oct. 1923.
9. Commander, Destroyer Squadrons. To: The Chief of the Bureau of Navigation. Subject: Orders for certain officers of the Destroyer Squadrons. Dated 14 Dec. 1923.
10. Annual Report of the Secretary of the Navy, 1923. [Report on the disaster at Honda published in 1924.].
11. Memorandum Concerning the Honda Disaster. The court of inquiry convened to inquire into the grounding of the destroyers on Pedernales Point on the night of September 8, 1923, stated as follows… Dated 15 Oct. 1931.
12. Director of Naval Records and History (OP-29), Washington, DC. To: Lieutenant Thaddeus V. Tuleja, USNR. Subject: Request for information on the disaster of the seven destroyers off Honda Point, California, 8 September 1923. Dated 12 July 1951.
Source: Photocopies of documents are in the Navy Department Library “Honda Disaster” vertical file. The original documents are located in the collections of the National Archives and Records Administration. Item #10, Annual Report of the Secretary of the Navy, 1923, is located in the Navy Department Library and is widely available in some, but not all, Federal Depository libraries.