James M. Monaghan, Pharmacist Mate, USN
An Inventory of His Collection
|Navy Department Library|
|James M. Monaghan|
|James M. Monaghan Collection|
|The bulk of the collection consists of programs of entertainment related to Monaghan's service on board the USS Rhode Island. There is some information on the Fleet Review of 1915 along with several instruction sheets for treating common medical ailments.|
|The records are in English.|
Pharmacist Mate James M. Monaghan, USN
James Martin Monaghan enlisted in the United States Navy in 1913 and served for five years on the following ships and stations: Constellation/US Naval Training Station, Newport, RI, March-May 1913; Rhode Island, May 1913-June 1915 (temporary duty while assigned to Rhode Island included service on Brooklyn, Nebraska and North Carolina at the Boston Navy Yard); US Naval Hospital, Newport, Rhode Island, June 1915-March 1917. Monaghan then served on the Boxer and finished his naval career at the US Naval Recruiting Station in Albany, NY.
While assigned to Rhode Island, PhM Monaghan landed at Vera Cruz, Mexico and Guantanamo Bay, Cuba.
The bulk of this collection consists of programs, menus, and other memorabilia collected by Monaghan while on board Rhode Island. The collection also includes two pictures of Monaghan taken on board Rhode Island , some material related to the Fleet Review of 1915, and several instruction sheets for treating common medical ailments.
Programs and Menu- "Band Concert, U.S.S. Rhode Island at Anchor, Tampico, Mexico, December 8, 1913."
- "Smoker and Entertainment Ord. Elect. and C. and R. Depts. U.S.S. Rhode Island,"Tampico, Mexico, 7 February 1914.
- "Smoker and Minstrel Given by Engineers Department United States Ship Rhode Island," 9 March 1914, Guantanamo Bay, Cuba.
- "Minstrel and Vaudeville Performance given by the Ordnance and Electrical Departments U.S.S. Rhode Island at Tampico, Mexico, Thanksgiving Evening, November 16, 1914."
- "Minstrel and Vaudeville Performance given by the Ordnance and Electrical Departments U.S.S. Rhode Island at Vera Cruz, Mexico, December 24, 1914."
- "Rhode Island Minstrels New Year's Eve 1915, U.S.S. Rhode Island at Anchor, Vera Cruz, Mexico."
- "Sixth Weekly Entertainment Given by the Officers and Crew of the United States Ship Florida to the United States Atlantic Fleet at Guantanamo Bay Cuba, March 13, 1915."
- Christmas Menu, US Naval Hospital Newport, RI, 25 December, 1915.
- Instructions for Those Having Syphilis, Confidential Circular of
Information No. 4.
- Instructions for Those Having Chancroid, Confidential Circular of Information No. 3.
- Summary Sheet: Measles, German Measles, Mumps, Scabies.
Fleet Review of 1915
- "Official Information, Mayor's Committee of Welcome To Fleet, May
- Battalion parade movement order.
Restrictions on Use
Manuscripts are unavailable for loan and must be consulted in the library. Photocopying of manuscripts is generally prohibited, though the use of digital cameras by researchers to reproduce non-copyrighted materials is permitted. Permission to photocopy a limited number of pages may be granted by the reference staff, contingent upon the physical state of items. All photocopying of materials shall be done by the reference staff, or under their close supervision. The use of personal scanners by non-library staff personnel must be approved by the reference staff on a document-by-document basis (Reference: Naval History and Heritage Command Instruction [NAVHISTCENTINST] 5070.1C.).
This record series is indexed under the following controlled access subject terms.
Monaghan, James M.
United States Navy -- 20th Century History -- Fleet Review of 1915
Rhode Island (BB-17)
Sailors -- United States
Cite as: Historical Manuscripts, Navy Department Library, Naval History and Heritage Command, Washington DC, James M. Monaghan Collection.
The collection was processed and a finding aid prepared by Thomas Wildenberg in September 2006.