Admiral George W. Anderson, Jr., Chief of Naval Operations
"Shore to Ship Via Moon" Message, 151950Z DEC 61
|DEPARTMENT OF THE NAVY
OFFICE OF THE CHIEF OF NAVAL OPERATIONS
WASHINGTON 25, D.C.
|IN REPLY REFER TO|
11 JAN 1962
MEMORANDUM FOR DIRECTOR OF NAVAL HISTORY
|Subj:||"Shore to Ship Via Moon" Message, 151950Z DEC 61|
|Ref:||(a) RADM Eller's memo of 19 DEC 1961 to RADM Roeder|
|Encl:||(1) Original of subject message bearing Admiral Anderson's signature|
1. I am very happy to forward enclosure (1), the original of subject message bearing Admiral Anderson's signature, to you as Curator of the Department of the Navy for preservation and display as requested in reference (a).
2. Your suggestion that similar "firsts" of this nature be handled in the same way will be given every consideration. We would appreciate a memorandum request on these events that your office is particularly interested in when they occur.
Bernard F. Roeder
Assistant Chief of Naval Operations
OPNAV FORM 2110-33 (REV. 6-61)
Shore/Ship communications via moon
1. Signalling another first in communications by the Navy, this message being sent to you from the U.S. Naval Research Laboratory Field Station, Stump Neck, Maryland, via the moon, conveys my congratulations and best wishes for further success in your research and development work and substantial improvements in naval communications based on your scientific efforts.
2. The Navy, long an advocate of mobility and dispersion for survival, is now taking another significant step forward in developing the survivability of communications by the inauguration of this experimental circuit.
3. To all involved in this significant even 'Well Done.'
G.W. Anderson, Admiral, U.S. Navy, Chief of Naval Operations
|Dist:||00. . . .90. . . .07. . . .007. . . .94. . . .942. . . .94T. . . .03. . . .04. . . .|
06. . . .NAVAL AIDE. . . .BFR. . . .FLAGPLOT
|CIRCUIT NO. (COMMO)||PAGE OF PAGES
|CONTROL NO. (COMMO)
151950Z DEC 61
|UNCLASSIFIED||COPY 1 H-49084|