Return to Rosters ListImage of an anchorReturn to Navy Department LibraryImage of anchorReturn to Naval Historical Center home page
Flag banner
Navy Department Library banner

DEPARTMENT OF THE NAVY -- NAVAL HISTORICAL CENTER
805 KIDDER BREESE SE -- WASHINGTON NAVY YARD
WASHINGTON DC 20374-5060

Tenth Naval District

The boundaries of the Tenth Naval District, to be headquartered at Lake Training Station in Lake Bluff, Illinois, were established on 7 May 1903 in accordance with General Order No. 128, signed by Acting Secretary of the Navy Charles H. Darling. The district was activated in 1911 as part of a larger administrative unit called "Ninth, Tenth and Eleventh Naval Districts." In 1945 the district was located outside the continental United States and headquartered at San Juan, Puerto Rico. It consisted of the following geographic areas: Puerto Rico, Vieques, Culebra, Virgin islands and the Naval Reservation, Guantanamo, and US Naval shore activities at Jamaica, Trinidad, Bahamas, Antigua, St. Lucia, British Guiana. The Tenth Naval District was disestablished on [30 September 1980?].

1941-1943
VADM John H. Hoover 7 December 1941
1943-1944
VADM Arthur B. Cook 12 August 1943
1944-1945
VADM Robert C. Giffen 14 May 1944
1945-
VADM William R. Munroe 20 August 1945
1947-1950
RADM Daniel E. Barbey 1 May 1947
1950-1952
RADM Marshall R. Greer 10 October 1950
1952-1954
RADM Austin K. Doyle 11 October 1952
1954-1956
RADM Grover B. Hall 20 April 1954
1956-1960
RADM Daniel V. Gallery, Jr. 6 December 1956
1960-1963
RADM Allen Smith, Jr. 9 July 1960
1963-1965
RADM Henry H. Caldwell 2 July 1963
1965-1967
RADM Richard S. Craighill September 1965
1967-1970
RADM Alfred R. Matter June 1967
1970-1973
RADM Norvell G. Ward May 1970
1973-
RADM James D. Ramage July 1973

Notes: RADM = Rear Admiral, VADM = Vice Admiral.

The administrative records of the Tenth Naval District are located in Record Group (RG) 181.2.9 at the National Archives and Records Administration’s Northeast Region, New York City, facility at 201 Varick Street, 12th Floor, New York, New York 10014 (entrance on Houston Street, between Varick and Hudson), telephone 1-866-840-1752 or 212-401-1620.

An unpublished 2-volume administrative history of the Tenth Naval District during World War II, known as “World War II Naval Administrative History # 117,” is located in the Navy Department Library. It is unavailable for loan and must be consulted in the library. Photocopying of this manuscript is generally prohibited; the use of digital cameras by researchers is encouraged. Permission to photocopy a limited number of pages may be granted by the reference staff, contingent upon the physical state of the item. Any photocopying of this manuscript shall be done under the close supervision of the reference staff. Microfiche packets of this history are available; these can be borrowed through interlibrary loan or purchased. The use of personal scanners by non-library staff personnel must be approved by the reference staff on a document-by-document basis (Reference: Naval Historical Center Instruction [NAVHISTCENTINST] 5070.1C.). When requesting the administrative history, please specify its number. For example: "I'd like to examine/purchase World War Two Admin. History #117."


Related Source: Fifty Years of Naval District Development 1903-1953


07 June 2007