Return to Rosters ListImage of an anchorReturn to Navy Department LibraryImage of anchorReturn to Naval Historical Center home page
Flag banner
Navy Department Library banner

DEPARTMENT OF THE NAVY -- NAVAL HISTORICAL CENTER
805 KIDDER BREESE SE -- WASHINGTON NAVY YARD
WASHINGTON DC 20374-5060

Seventeenth Naval District
The Seventeenth Naval District, headquartered at Kodiak (Temp. Adak), Alaska, was established on 15 April 1944. In 1945 the district consisted of the following geographic area: Alaska, including the Aleutian Islands. The Seventeenth Naval District was disestablished on 30 June 1971 and control was transferred to the Thirteenth Naval District.

1944
RADM Francis E.M. Whiting 15 April 1944
1944
RADM Allan E. Smith (T) 12 August 1944
1944-
RADM Ralph F. Wood 24 August 1944
1947-1949
RADM Alfred E. Montgomery 30 August 1947
1949-1950
RADM Frank D. Wagner 27 May 1949
1950-1951
RADM Clifton A. Sprague 26 May 1950
1951-1952
RADM Edgar A. Cruise 11 October 1951
1952-1954
RADM John Perry 9 August 1952
1954-1956
RADM Kenneth Craig 8 July 1954
1956-1958
RADM Ira E. Hobbs 26 October 1956
1958-1960
RADM Arnold W. McKechnie 13 January 1958
1960-1962
RADM Henry H. Caldwell 2 April 1960
1962-1964
RADM Fred E. Bakutis 30 March 1962
1964-1966
RADM Robert E. Riera 2 March 1964
1966-1969
RADM Donald M. White April 1966
1969-1971
RADM Eugene G. Fairfax July 1969

Notes: RADM = Rear Admiral.

The administrative records of the Seventeenth Naval District are located in Record Group (RG) 181.2.15 at the National Archives and Records Administration’s Pacific Alaska Region facility at 654 West Third Avenue, Anchorage, Alaska 99501-2145, telephone 907-261-7820.


Related Source: Fifty Years of Naval District Development 1903-1953


07 June 2007