Return to Rosters ListImage of an anchorReturn to Navy Department LibraryImage of anchorReturn to Naval Historical Center home page
Flag banner
Navy Department Library banner

DEPARTMENT OF THE NAVY -- NAVAL HISTORICAL CENTER
805 KIDDER BREESE SE -- WASHINGTON NAVY YARD
WASHINGTON DC 20374-5060

Fourth Naval District

The boundaries of the Fourth Naval District, to be headquartered at League Island Navy Yard in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, were established on 7 May 1903 in accordance with General Order No. 128, signed by Acting Secretary of the Navy Charles H. Darling. No personnel were assigned to the district staff until late 1915. In 1945 the district, still headquartered in Philadelphia, consisted of the following geographic areas: Pennsylvania, the southern part of New Jersey (including the counties of Burlington, Ocean, and all counties south thereof), and Delaware (including Winter Quarters Shoal Light Vessel). On 7 October 1976 this command absorbed the functions of the First and Third Naval Districts. The Fourth Naval District was disestablished on 30 September 1980.

1915-1917
CAPT Robert l. Russell 3 December 1915
1917-1918
CAPT George F. Cooper 25 April 1917
1918-1920
RADM Charles F. Hughes 21 October 1918
1920-1923
RADM Louis M. Nulton 22 September 1920
1923-1926
RADM Archibald H. Scales 14 September 1923
1926-1927
RADM Thomas P. Magruder 5 June 1926
1927-1930
RADM Julian L. Latimer 5 November 1927
1930-1933
RADM Lucius A. Bostwick 1 July 1930
1933-1934
RADM Arthur J. Hepburn 1 August 1933
1934-1937
RADM William C. Watts 1 June 1934
1937-1938
RADM Wat T. Cluverius 21 June 1937
1938-1940
RADM Julius C. Townsend 15 November 1938
1940-1942
RADM Adolphus E. Watson 22 January 1940
1942-1945
RADM Milo F. Draemel 30 August 1942
1946-1949
RADM James L. Kauffman 20 June 1946
1949-1951
RADM Roscoe E. Schuirmann 29 April 1949
1951-1954
RADM John H. Brown, Jr. 29 June 1951
1954-1956
RADM Ernest H. Von Heimburg 1 February 1954
1959-1961
RADM Charles H. Lyman III 27 February 1959
1961-1965
RADM Robert W. Cavenagh 15 November 1961
1965-1968
RADM Robert H. Speck August 1965
1968-1972
RADM Kenneth L. Veth November 1968
1972-1975
RADM Joseph L. Coleman December 1972
1975-1978
RADM Wycliffe D. Toole, Jr. June 1975
1978
RADM Frederick F. Palmer
1979-1980
RADM Carl A. Brettschneider

Notes: CAPT = Captain,RADM = Rear Admiral.

The administrative records of the Fourth Naval District are located in Record Group (RG) 181.2.3 at the National Archives and Records Administration’s Mid Atlantic Region Archives Facility (Center City Philadelphia) at 900 Market Street, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania 19107-4292 (entrance on Chestnut Street, between 9th and 10th Streets), telephone 215-606-0100.

An unpublished 6-volume administrative history of the Fourth Naval District during World War II, known as “World War II Naval Administrative History # 111,” is located in the Navy Department Library. It is unavailable for loan and must be consulted in the library. Photocopying of this manuscript is generally prohibited; the use of digital cameras by researchers is encouraged. Permission to photocopy a limited number of pages may be granted by the reference staff, contingent upon the physical state of the item. Any photocopying of this manuscript shall be done under the close supervision of the reference staff. Microfiche packets of this history are available; these can be borrowed through interlibrary loan or purchased. The use of personal scanners by non-library staff personnel must be approved by the reference staff on a document-by-document basis (Reference: Naval Historical Center Instruction [NAVHISTCENTINST] 5070.1C.). When requesting the administrative history, please specify its number. For example: "I'd like to examine/purchase World War Two Admin. History #111."


Related Source:
Fifty Years of Naval District Development 1903-1953
Naval District Manual, 1927

07 June 2007