Return to Rosters ListImage of an anchorReturn to Navy Department LibraryImage of anchorReturn to Naval Historical Center home page
Flag banner
Navy Department Library banner

DEPARTMENT OF THE NAVY -- NAVAL HISTORICAL CENTER
805 KIDDER BREESE SE -- WASHINGTON NAVY YARD
WASHINGTON DC 20374-5060

First Naval District

The boundaries of the First Naval District, to be headquartered at Portsmouth Navy Yard in Portsmouth, New Hampshire, (and later in Boston) were established on 7 May 1903 in accordance with General Order No. 128, signed by Acting Secretary of the Navy Charles H. Darling. Until late 1915 no personnel were assigned to the district staff. In 1945 the district was headquartered at Boston, Massachusetts, and consisted of the following geographic areas: Maine, New Hampshire, Vermont, Massachusetts, and Rhode Island (including Block Island). The First Naval District was disestablished on 7 October 1976 and control passed to the Fourth Naval District.

1915-1921
RADM Albert Gleaves November 1915
1921-1923
RADM Henry A. Wiley December 1921
1923-1925
RADM Louis R. de Steiguer June 1923
1925-1930
RADM Phillip Andrews October 1925
1930-1933
RADM Louis M. Nulton June 1930
1933-1935
RADM Hanry H. Hough June 1933
1935-1938
RADM Walter R. Gherardi June 1935
1938-1946
RADM William T. Tarrant July 1938
1946-1949
RADM Morton L. Deyo April 1946
1949-1952
RADM Leo H. Thebaud February 1949
1952-1953
RADM John L. McCrea February 1952
1953-1954
RADM Charles B. Momsen July 1953
1954-1958
RADM John A. Snackenberg August 1954
1958-1962
RADM Carl F. Espe May 1958
1962-1963
RADM Joseph H. Wellings April 1962
1963-1964
RADM Wallace M. Beakley September 1963
1964-1967
RADM William B. Sifglaff January 1964
1967-1968
RADM Roy Benson April 1967
1968-1972
RADM Joseph C. Wyile, Jr. December 1968
1972-1976
RADM Richard E. Rumble November 1972

Notes: RADM = Rear Admiral.

The administrative records of the First Naval District are located in Record Group (RG) 181.2.1 at the National Archives and Records Administration’s Northeast Region, Boston, facility at the Frederick C. Murphy Federal Center, 380 Trapelo Road, Waltham, Massachusetts 02452-6399, telephone 781-663-0130.

An unpublished 9-volume administrative history of the First Naval District during World War II, known as “World War II Naval Administrative History # 109,” is located in the Navy Department Library. It is unavailable for loan and must be consulted in the library. Photocopying of this manuscript is generally prohibited; the use of digital cameras by researchers is encouraged. Permission to photocopy a limited number of pages may be granted by the reference staff, contingent upon the physical state of the item. Any photocopying of this manuscript shall be done under the close supervision of the reference staff. Microfiche packets of this history are available; these can be borrowed through interlibrary loan or purchased. The use of personal scanners by non-library staff personnel must be approved by the reference staff on a document-by-document basis (Reference: Naval Historical Center Instruction [NAVHISTCENTINST] 5070.1C.). When requesting the administrative history, please specify its number. For example: "I'd like to examine/purchase World War Two Admin. History #109."


Related Source:
Fifty Years of Naval District Development 1903-1953
Naval District Manual, 1927


07 June 2007