Return to Rosters ListImage of an anchorReturn to Navy Department LibraryImage of anchorReturn to Naval Historical Center home page
Flag banner
Navy Department Library banner

DEPARTMENT OF THE NAVY -- NAVAL HISTORICAL CENTER
805 KIDDER BREESE SE -- WASHINGTON NAVY YARD
WASHINGTON DC 20374-5060

Bureau of Equipment and Recruitment

The Bureau of Equipment was separated from the Bureau of Construction, Equipment and Repair by law of 5 July 1862, and was designated Bureau of Equipment and Recruitment. In 1889, the name was changed to Bureau of Equipment. This bureau remained in existence until 1910, at which time it's functions were distributed among other Navy Department Bureaus including the Bureau of Engineering and Bureau of Construction and Repair.

1.
1863-1863
ADM Andrew H. Foote
2.
1864-1867
Albert N. Smith
3.
1868-1870
Melcacton Smith
4.
1870-1875
COMMO William Reynolds
5.
1875-1878
COMMO Robert W. Shufrldt
6.
1878-1884
COMMO Earl English
7.
1885-1889
COMMO Winfield S. Schley
8.
1890-1892
COMMO George Dewey
9.
1893-1897
French E. Chadwick
10.
1898-1903
COMMO Royal B. Bradford
11.
1904-1904
RADM George A. Converse
12.
1904-1906
RADM Henry N. Manney
13.
1906-1910
RADM William S. Cowles

Note: ADM = Admiral, COMMO = Commodore, RADM = Rear Admiral.


04 December 2006