Return to Naval Historical Center home page. Return to Frequently Asked Questions page.


Post-Traumatic Stress Disorder (PTSD) Claims

The following procedure is used to verify PTSD claims:

- If a Veteran Service Center or Agency is handling the claim, that office should recall the veteran's official service record from the National Personnel Records Center (Military Personnel Records), 9700 Page Avenue, St. Louis MO 63132-5100.

- If the Veteran himself/herself is handling the claim, he or she should write to the Personnel Records Center about obtaining a copy of the service record, using the form.

- This will verify his/her military service. The statement of service, contained in the service record, will specify periods of assignment to particular ships or units. A discharge certificate, or DD Form 214, does not do this. While a DD 214 may cite service in a ship, it does not show when that service took place.

- Once the service record is received, the claim, with a copy of the service record and the veteran's description of incidents relating to stressors, should be forwarded to the U.S. Army & Joint Service Records Research Center (JSRRC), 7701 Telegraph Road, Kingman Building, Room 2CO8, Alexandria, VA 22325 for processing. That agency has assigned a case worker to research claims in appropriate record repositories.

- For JSRRC to locate pertinent documentation, veterans must be very specific about dates and/or places of incidents, and about the incidents themselves. JSRRC and the record repositories do not have large research staffs, and cannot undertake extensive searches in response to any single inquiry.

08 February 2008