Obtaining Information on Navy Awards and Medals

Veterans are entitled to one set of their medals and awards. To request their medals, a veteran should send in a separate completed Standard Form (SF) 180 to the Bureau of Naval Personnel (Code 312D2), Naval Liaison Office, Room 5409, 9700 Page Boulevard, St. Louis, Missouri 63132-5100. Please write "Do not open in mailroom" on the outer envelope.

If the individual's service number is unknown, it can usually be located by specifying the individual's name, their command, and when they served in a letter to the Modern Military Branch, National Archives and Records Administration, 8601 Adelphi Road College Park, MD 20740. That office can usually discern the enlisted member's service number from the command's muster rolls if the individual served between 1941 and 1975. After 1957 the officers are also listed with the muster rolls. The deck logs of ships listed the names of officers on the first page of each month's log before that date.

The Navy Department Awards Web Service contains online access to Navy awards information. It contains information on an individual's personal awards, unit awards, as well as campaign medals. Through this website, the personal awards history of an individual person and the awards for a particular unit can be queried. It is constantly being updated to contain the most current information.