One of the major tribes of Indians who lived on land on both sides of the lower Colorado River, near the present site of what is now Yuma, Arizona.
(Mon: dp. 1,175; l. 225'; b. 45'; dph. 9'1"; s. 9 k.; cpl. 60; a. 2 11" D. sb.; cl. Casco)
Yuma—a twin-screw, shallow-draft, single-turreted river monitor—was laid down at Cincinnati, Ohio, by Alexander Swift and Co., and launched on 30 May 1865.
Due to a miscalculation in the displacement of ships of the Casco-class, Yuma—as originally designed—was unseaworthy. Alterations were accordingly carried out on the vessel during the spring of 1866 to remedy the shortcoming in design, but the ship never saw active service. Laid up from 1866 to 1874, Yuma was twice renamed during this time period: first, to Tempest on 15 June 1869 and, second, back to Yuma on 10 August 1869.
The monitor was subsequently sold at auction to Theodore Allen, at New Orleans, La., on 12 September 1874.
(YTM-748: dp. 310 (f.); l. 107'; b. 27'; dr. 12'; s. 12 k. (tl.); cpl. 16; cl. Chicopee)
The third Yuma, a medium harbor tug, was acquired by the Navy in September 1964 from the Army, which she had served as LT-2078. Named Yuma and designated YTM-748, she was assigned to the 12th Naval District and served as a harbor tug at San Francisco, Calif., until placed out of service in August 1976. She was then assigned to the Pacific Reserve Fleet and was berthed at Bremerton, Wash., where she remained as of 1979