One of the major tribes of Indians who lived on land on both sides of the lower Colorado River, near the present site of what is now Yuma, Arizona.
(Mon: dp. 1,175; l. 225'; b. 45'; dph. 9'1"; s. 9 k.; cpl. 60; a. 2 11" D. sb.; cl. Casco)
Yuma—a twin-screw, shallow-draft, single-turreted river monitor—was laid down at Cincinnati, Ohio, by Alexander Swift and Co., and launched on 30 May 1865.
Due to a miscalculation in the displacement of ships of the Casco-class, Yuma—as originally designed—was unseaworthy. Alterations were accordingly carried out on the vessel during the spring of 1866 to remedy the shortcoming in design, but the ship never saw active service. Laid up from 1866 to 1874, Yuma was twice renamed during this time period: first, to Tempest on 15 June 1869 and, second, back to Yuma on 10 August 1869.
The monitor was subsequently sold at auction to Theodore Allen, at New Orleans, La., on 12 September 1874.
(ScTug: t. 136; 1. 92'; b. 21'; dr. 10'3" (mean); cpl. 22)
Asher J. Hudson, later renamed Yuma—a tug built at Camden, N.J., by John H. Dialogue and Son and completed between 1888 and 1891—was inspected by the Navy at New Orleans, La., on 1 July 1918 and taken over from the Alabama Coal Transportation Co., of New Orleans, soon thereafter.
Given the classification of SP-3104, Asher J. Hudson was commissioned at New Orleans on 1 August 1918. She operated locally out of New Orleans for the duration of the war. The tug was classified YT-37 on 17 July 1920 and subsequently renamed Yuma. She was eventually decommissioned and sold on 5 August 1921 to the Crown Towing Co., of New Orleans, La