(IX-214: dp. 10,749 (dwt.) ; l. 453'; b. 56'; s. 10 k.; cpl. 70; a. 1 4", 1 3", 8 20mm.)
The second Yucca (IX-214)—a tanker constructed in 1920 by the Bethlehem Steel Co. at Alameda, Calif., and formerly named SS Utacarbon—was acquired from the War Shipping Administration in February 1945; renamed Yucca on 9 March 1945; converted to naval use at San Francisco, Calif., and placed in commission on 9 July 1945.
Yucca missed the war entirely. She did not make it to Pearl Harbor until late in August and departed that port on her way to duty in the Central Pacific on 3 September. She stopped at Ulithi Atoll in the Western Carolines on the 22d but continued her voyage that same day, arriving at Buckner Bay, Okinawa, on the 29 October. She arrived in Nagoya on the 6th but returned to the Ryukyus later that month. On 11 November, the tanker began her voyage back to the United States. Steaming via Eniwetok in the Marshall Islands and Pearl Harbor, she arrived in the Panama Canal Zone on 6 January 1946, transited the canal and departed the western terminus on 8 January. She arrived in Mobile, Ala., on the 15th and changed operational control to the Commandant, 8th Naval District, for inactivation preparations. Yucca was placed out of commission at Mobile on 19 February 1946, and she was returned to the War Shipping Administration for disposal. Her name was struck from the Navy list on 12 March 1946, and she was sold on 24 January 1947 to the Pinto Island Metals Co. for scrapping.