Return to DANFS IndexImage of an anchorReturn to Naval Historical Center homepage
flag banner
Dictionary of American Naval Fighting Ships banner
DEPARTMENT OF THE NAVY -- NAVAL HISTORICAL CENTER
805 KIDDER BREESE SE -- WASHINGTON NAVY YARD
WASHINGTON DC 20374-5060

Yonaguska

 

One of the most prominent chiefs of the East Cherokees during the first half of the 19th century. Yonaguska fostered peace but steadfastly refused to agree to the removal of his portion of the tribe to the west. Later in life, he led his people in a successful abolition of the use of alcohol.

 

(YT-195: dp. 218; l. 100'0"; b. 25'0"; dr. 9'7" (f.); s. 12 k. (tl.); cl. Woban)

 

Yonaguska (YT-195) was laid down on 21 July 1942 at the Pearl Harbor Navy Yard; launched on 17 August 1943; completed and placed in service on 22 February 1944.

 

Yonaguska spent her entire career in the Hawaiian Islands. She was first assigned to the Commandant, 14th Naval District and served at Pearl Harbor for the remainder of World War II. On 15 May 1944, she was redesignated a large harbor tug and received the hull number, YTB-195. She continued to serve the 14th Naval District after the war.

 

Sometime in 1949, however, she went out of service, for she was loaned to the United States Coast Guard on 3 August 1949. Presumably, she did her Coast Guard service in the Hawaiian Islands as well because when she was returned to the Navy in June 1954 she was returned to the custody of the 14th Naval District. Upon her return, she was placed in reserve and remained inactive until January 1958 when she returned to active duty in the 14th Naval District. In February 1962, Yonaguska was redesignated a medium harbor tug and was reclassified YTM-195. The tug served at Pearl Harbor for the next 12 years. In August 1974, she was placed out of service, and her name was struck from the Navy list. Soon thereafter, she was sold for scrapping.