An evergreen tree and shrub that yields valuable timbers for cabinet-making and archery.
(YN-37: dp. 560 (1.); l. 163'2"; b. 30'6"; dr. 11'8"; s. 12.5 k.; cpl. 48; a. 1 3"; cl. Aloe)
Yew (YN-37) was laid down on 22 May 1941 at Camden, N.J., by the John H. Mathis Co.; launched on 4 October 1941; sponsored by Miss Alice E. Morgan, daughter of Comdr. A. L. Morgan, USN (Ret.); and placed in service on 1 July 1942.
Records for Yew's service are practically nonexistent. The fragmentary evidence available shows that the ship was reclassified AN-37 on 1 January 1944. The net tender was ultimately decommissioned at Oran, Algeria, on 30 November 1944 and simultaneously transferred to the French Navy under lend-lease. She served as Scorpion (A-728) until she was nominally returned by the French on 21 March 1949 but was sold outright to the French on the same day. Her American name, Yew, was struck from the Navy list on 28 April 1949.
Scorpion served the French Navy into the mid-1970's before she was disposed of.