Return to DANFS IndexImage of an anchorReturn to Naval Historical Center homepage
flag banner
Dictionary of American Naval Fighting Ships banner
DEPARTMENT OF THE NAVY -- NAVAL HISTORICAL CENTER
805 KIDDER BREESE SE -- WASHINGTON NAVY YARD
WASHINGTON DC 20374-5060

Yeaton

 

(WPC-156: dp. 220; l. 125'; b. 23'6"; dr. 9'; s. 11 k.; cpl. 38; a. 1 3"; cl. Active)

 

Yeaton—a 125-foot steel-hulled, diesel-powered Coast Guard cutter—was completed in 1927 at Camden, N.J., by the American Brown Boveri Electric Corp.—and commissioned into Coast Guard service soon thereafter. She initially served at Norfolk, Va., in 1928; and successively at St. Petersburg, Fla., from 1929 to 1931; at Pascagoula, Miss., in 1932 and 1933; back at St. Petersburg in 1934; at Gulf port, Miss., from 1935 to 1938; at Stapleton, N.Y., in 1939; and at Gallups Island, Mass., in 1940. When the Coast Guard came under Navy control in 1941, Yeaton most probably operated on patrol duties. No records of the ship's wartime service have been found, however, leaving one only to conjecture. Sometime in 1942, the ship was classified as a patrol craft and given the hull number WPC-156.

 

After World War II, Yeaton resumed operation with the Coast Guard, out of New, London, Conn. In the 1960's, the Coast Guard reclassified the ship as a medium endurance cutter (WMEC) and gave her the identification WMEC-156. Yeaton was eventually decommissioned and laid up in 1970.