|Viewed bow-on, YC 648 inches up the recently refurbished Marine Railway No.1 at Cavite, 16 March 1939, while the masts and stacks of ships undergoing refits in the yard can be seen in the background. To the left, in the shade, a laborer works on one of the boats (the identifying letters AUG visible on the original print) assigned to the allowance of the heavy cruiser Augusta (CA 31), the U.S. Asiatic Fleet’s flagship. (U.S. Navy Bureau of Yards and Docks Photograph, RG-71-CA, National Archives and Records Administration, Still Pictures Branch, College Park, Md.)|
(YC 648: capacity 250 tons; length 110'0"; beam 30'0")
The wooden hull non self propelled open lighter YC 648 was completed in 1930 at Cavite, Philippine Islands, by the Cavite Navy Yard, for service in the Sixteenth Naval District.
An annual report for 1941 indicates that YC 648 had been in use for 366 days (a leap year), and that it was considered serviceable, with its upkeep amounting to $1,760. Deemed required in the day-to-day operation of the Cavite Navy Yard, YC 648 was to have been replaced in 1950.
The Japanese onslaught in 1941 somewhat altered that plan, however, and the fall of the Philippines in the spring of 1942 resulted in YC 648 being considered as lost due to the enemy occupation. Consequently, YC 648 was stricken from the Navy’s List of Service Craft on 24 July 1942.
Robert J. Cressman