Return to DANFS IndexImage of an anchorReturn to Naval History and Heritage Command homepage
flag banner
Dictionary of American Naval Fighting Ships banner
WASHINGTON DC 20374-5060

YC 286

(YC 286: capacity 500; length 110'; beam 34'0")

U.S. Navy Photograph 80-G-222615
As seen from an airship from ZP 14, YC 286, loaded with various items of cargo, rides at the end of a towline connecting her to the district tug Bomazeen (YT 238) (out of sight to the right) as the latter steams on course 085º on 16 March 1944 at 36º52'N, 75º12'E. YC 286 has a black hull in keeping with district craft of its type. (U.S. Navy Photograph 80-G-222615, National Archives and Records Administration, Still Pictures Branch, College Park, Md.)

The non self propelled steel hull open lighter YC 286 was completed by the Norfolk Navy Yard, Portsmouth, Va., in 1914.
Placed in service in the Fifth Naval District, YC 286 served in those waters through World War I. Although earmarked for replacement in 1939, the lighter remained in service as the Navy expanded to meet the challenges posed by increasing global tensions during the interwar years.

The Navy’s annual report for 1941 indicates that YC 286 was in use for 220 days, and was considered serviceable, with its upkeep amounting to $1,378.04. The annual report for 1942 listed it as in “fair” condition. Two years after the end of World War II in Europe, YC 286 began a five-month overhaul (28 March-25 August 1947) at the Norfolk Naval Shipyard, a period of work that lengthened its service life, but only for a little over four years, as successive inspections during 1951-1952 found the craft declining from satisfactory to fair to unsatisfactory condition by 25 June 1952.

On 19 August 1952, the office of the Chief of Naval Operations requested authority from the Secretary of the Navy (SecNav) to dispose of YC 286, and approval of that course of action soon followed, with SecNav approving its disposal less than a fortnight later, on 27 August.

YC 286 was stricken from the Navy’s List of Service Craft on 8 September 1952.

Robert J. Cressman