One of nine villages of the Natchez Indians in the 17th and early 18th centuries. It was located near the site of the present-day city of Natchez, Miss.
(YTB-544: dp. 218; l. 100'0"; b. 25'0"; dr. 9'7" (f.); s. 12 k. (tl.); cl. Hisada)
Yatanocas (YTB-544) was laid down on 12 April 1945 at Morris Heights, N.Y., by the Consolidated Shipbuilding Corp.; launched on 9 July 1945; delivered to the Navy and placed in service on 14 December 1945.
The large harbor tug served briefly in the 3d Naval District before being placed out of service, in reserve, in March 1946. She was berthed with the Florida Group, Atlantic Reserve Fleet, at Green Cove Springs until May 1947 at which time she was placed back in service. Since that time, Yatanocas has served the Commandant, 6th Naval District and has operated at Charleston, S.C., for her entire active career. In February 1962, she was redesignated a medium harbor tug, YTM-544. As of 1 January 1979, she was still active at Charleston.