A noted female Indian chief whose name was later taken by the Yaquima Indians, a small tribe that lived in what is now the western part of the state of Oregon.
(YT-171: l. 113'0"; b. 25'0"; dr. 13'8" (max.); a. 2 .30-cal. mg.)
Dauntless No. 14—a steel-hulled, single-screw, diesel-powered tug—was built in 1940 by the Jacobson Shipyards of Oyster Bay, Long Island, N.Y., for the Dauntless Towing Line, Inc., of New York City. Acquired by the Navy on 6 January 1941, Dauntless No. H was renamed Yaquima and classified as YT-171—a harbor tug—on 9 January. Converted for naval service at the Portsmouth (N.H.) Navy Yard, Yaquima either was placed "in service" or was ready for service on 9 March. Other records indicate another "in service" date, 18 April 1941, which was probably the day that the vessel actually began her operations in the 1st Naval District.
She served a brief tour of duty at New London, Conn., from 15 July to 11 August and then resumed service at Portsmouth. The ship was equipped with a decompression chamber and minor diving equipment at that time, so it is likely that the craft was used as a back-up submarine rescue vessel. In any event, Yaquima performed tug and tow service at Portsmouth for the duration of World War II. During that time, she was reclassifled a large harbor tug, YTB-171, on 15 May 1944.
Subsequently placed out of service at the Boston Naval Shipyard on 3 December 1945, Yaquima was struck from the Navy list on 8 May 1946 and turned over to the War Shipping Administration for further disposition on 7 June of the same year.