Return to DANFS IndexImage of an anchorReturn to Naval Historical Center homepage
flag banner
Dictionary of American Naval Fighting Ships banner
DEPARTMENT OF THE NAVY -- NAVAL HISTORICAL CENTER
805 KIDDER BREESE SE -- WASHINGTON NAVY YARD
WASHINGTON DC 20374-5060

Wingina

 

The principal chief of the Secotan Indians in North Carolina during Sir Walter Raleigh's two expeditions in 1585 and 1586. He was ultimately killed during one of his attempts to resist the coming of the English settlers.

 

(YTB-395: dp. 345 (f.); l. 100'; b. 25'; dr. 11'; s. 12 k.; cpl. 14; cl. Sassaba)

 

Wingina (YT—395) was laid down on 25 January 1944 at Jacksonville, Fla., by the Gibbs Gas Engine Co.; reclassified YTB-395 on 15 May 1944; launched on 14 July 1944; sponsored by Mrs. Ralph B. Weidner, the wife of Ens. R. B. Weidner, USNR; and completed and placed in service on 15 December 1944.

 

Initially allocated to the 13th Naval District, Wingina was placed in reserve, out of service, in March 1946, and berthed at Astoria, Oreg., with the Columbia River Group of the Reserve Fleet. Reactivated in July 1947, the large harbor tug operated into the late 1970's. In February 1962, she was reclassified a medium harbor tug, YTM-395.

 

For a brief time—June 1964 to March 1965—Wingina was carried on the naval vessel register as being in "active" status, but as a "redesignated activity craft." At the end of that period, she was reclassified back to "active, in service," a status in which she operated in the 13th Naval District, providing pilotage, tug and tow services, and waterfront fire protection, well into 1979.