Return to DANFS IndexImage of an anchorReturn to Naval Historical Center homepage
flag banner
Dictionary of American Naval Fighting Ships banner
DEPARTMENT OF THE NAVY -- NAVAL HISTORICAL CENTER
805 KIDDER BREESE SE -- WASHINGTON NAVY YARD
WASHINGTON DC 20374-5060

Windsor

 

A county in the state of Vermont and a city in Connecticut. APA-55 was named for the county; and ARD-22, for the city.

 

II

 

(ARD-22: l. 491'8"; b. 81'0"; dr. 33'3"  (subm.); cpl. 112 ;cl. ARD-12)

 

The second Windsor (ARD-22) was laid down as ARD-22 on 24 January 1944 at Alameda, Calif., by the Pacific Bridge Co. Launched soon thereafter, ARD-22 was commissioned on 21 April 1944.

 

Little information is available regarding the wartime career of ARD-22. All that is known indicates that she deployed to advanced bases in the western Pacific and that, by 11 May 1945, she was at Kerama Retto in the Ryukyu Islands supporting the Okinawa campaign.

 

Following the end of the war, ARD-22 supported the occupation of former Japanese territories, though exactly where she did so remains a mystery. By 1948, she returned to American territorial waters at Old Woman's Bay, Kodiak, Alaska. She remained there assigned to the repair facility until the fall of 1951 when she was towed to Pearl Harbor for alterations and for assignment to the Reserve Fleet.

 

She remained in reserve until June 1954 when she was recommissipned and assigned to the repair facility located at Subic Bay in the Philippines. She served there for the next 16 years providing repair facilities for the ships of the 7th Fleet. On 9 May 1967, she was named Windsor. The auxiliary drydock was decommissioned late in 1970; and, on 1 June 1971, she was leased to Taiwan. She continued to serve the Taiwan Navy on that basis until 19 May 1976 when she was sold and struck from the Navy list at the time of the sale.

 

Windsor earned one battle star during World War II as ARD-22.