Return to DANFS IndexImage of an anchorReturn to Naval Historical Center homepage
flag banner
Dictionary of American Naval Fighting Ships banner
DEPARTMENT OF THE NAVY -- NAVAL HISTORICAL CENTER
805 KIDDER BREESE SE -- WASHINGTON NAVY YARD
WASHINGTON DC 20374-5060

William L. Jones

 

(Sch.)

 

William L. Jones—a wooden-hulled, Chesapeake-Bay schooner—was purchased by the Navy at Baltimore, Md., on 13 August 1861. Subsequently filled with stones, the schooner was taken to Hampton Roads, Va., in the first contingent of the Union Navy's "stone fleet" slated to block the entrances to the sounds off the coast of North Carolina. Her ultimate disposition is unrecorded, but most of the vessels of that first contingent sank at their moorings at Hampton Roads and thus never reached North Carolina waters.