William H. Brown
(SwGbt: t. 800; a. 2 12-pdrs.)
On 30 September 1862, William H. Brown, a side-wheel steamer, was transferred to the Navy by the War Department; and she served as a transport and dispatch vessel for the Mississippi Squadron for the duration of the Civil War. The ship carried supplies and messages between the squadron's base at Cairo,111., and its ships at various locations on the Mississippi River and its tributaries. Her only recorded engagement came on 13 April 1964 during the Red River expedition when she fired on Confederate shore batteries while assisting the grounded Chillicothe. Confederate return fire hit her drum and disabled her so that she had to be towed back to Cairo for repairs.
After hostilities ended, the ship was placed out of commission at Mound City, 111., on 12 August 1865. Five days later, she was sold at auction to Mr. R. R. Hudson.