(MB: t. 20 (gross); l. 50'; b. 11'6"; dr. 3' (mean); s. 25 k.; cpl 7; a. 1 1-pdr., 1 Colt mg.)
Whistler (SP-784)—a wooden-hulled motorboat constructed at Marblehead, Mass., by J. E. Graves, and completed in 1917—was acquired by the Navy from Lawrence F. Percival, of Boston, on 17 May 1917; and commissioned at Boston on 31 July 1917.
Attached to the Boston section of the 1st Naval District, Whistler operated from the Commonwealth Pier— the district headquarters—on harbor entrance patrols. On occasion, in line with her employment, she carried dispatches to other vessels and craft of the entrance patrol. One break in her routine came in the spring of 1918, when she stood by as O-5 (Submarine No. 66) conducted sea and submergence trials in Hingham Bay on 30 May 1918.
Subsequently decommissioned and struck from the Navy list on 19 May 1919, Whistler was sold to J. E. Doherty, of Boston, on 20 June 1919.