Return to DANFS IndexImage of an anchorReturn to Naval Historical Center homepage
flag banner
Dictionary of American Naval Fighting Ships banner
DEPARTMENT OF THE NAVY -- NAVAL HISTORICAL CENTER
805 KIDDER BREESE SE -- WASHINGTON NAVY YARD
WASHINGTON DC 20374-5060

Westerner

 

(Freighter: dp. 12,200; l. 423'9"; b. 54'0"; dph. 29'9"; dr. 24'1" (mean); s. 10.5 k.; cpl. 87; a. 1 5")

 

Westerner—a steel-hulled, single-screw cargo vessel built under a United States Shipping Board (USSB) contract—was launched on 4 November 1917 at Seattle, Wash., by J. F. Duthie and Co. and delivered to the Navy for operation by the Naval Overseas Transportation Service (NOTS) at Norfolk, Va., on 20 June 1918. Commissioned on that date, with Lt. Comdr. Henry W. Lyon, Jr., in command, Westerner departed Norfolk for New York on 10 July 1918 with a cargo of Army supplies in her holds.

 

Joining up with a France-bound convoy, Westerner departed New York on 24 July. An engine casualty en route forced the ship to spend three days at Halifax, Nova Scotia, before she resumed her voyage. Making port at Brest on 17 August, the cargo vessel soon shifted to St. Nazaire where she discharged her load. Departing St. Nazaire on 22 September, the ship arrived at Norfolk on 10 October to load another cargo of army supplies.

 

Westerner subsequently conducted three additional cargo-carrying voyages for NOTS: two to La Pallice, France (on one occasion lifting supplies consigned to the French government), and one to Trieste, Italy, via Gibraltar. After her final NOTS voyages, Westerner made port at New York on 6 August 1919.

 

Decommissioned on 21 August 1919, the cargo vessel was simultaneously struck from the Navy list and turned back to the USSB. Laid up in the late 1920's, Westerner was abandoned, due to age and deterioration, in either late 1932 or early 1933