(Freighter: dp. 12,185; l. 423'9"; b. 54'0"; dph. 29'9"; dr. 24'0" (mean) ; s. 12.0 k.; cpl. 98; a. none)
Western Star—a single-screw, steel-hulled freighter constructed under a United States Shipping Board contract for the French Compagnie Generale at Portland, Oreg., by J. F. Duthie and Co.—was launched on 4 July 1918; was taken over by the Navy on 28 August 1918; designated Id. No. 4210; and commissioned on the same day, Lt. Comdr. Richard E. Tull, USNRF, in command.
Assigned to the Naval Overseas Transportation Service, Western Star arrived at Union Bay, British Columbia, on 5 September, where she loaded a cargo of coal for shipment to Chile and was thoroughly searched for possible bombs or explosives. Departing Union Bay on the 15th, she arrived at Iquique on 13 October and unloaded her coal cargo before shifting to Caleta Buena, where she loaded a cargo of nitrates.
After getting underway from Chile on 4 November, Western Star proceeded north, transited the Panama Canal, and made port at Savannah, Ga., on 5 December. She unloaded the nitrates and proceeded to Tompkinsville, N.Y., where she arrived on the last day of 1918. The cargo ship was decommissioned there on 1 March and returned to the Shipping Board on the same day. Western Star remained in the custody of that agency until abandoned in 1933.