Return to DANFS IndexImage of an anchorReturn to Naval Historical Center homepage
flag banner
Dictionary of American Naval Fighting Ships banner
DEPARTMENT OF THE NAVY -- NAVAL HISTORICAL CENTER
805 KIDDER BREESE SE -- WASHINGTON NAVY YARD
WASHINGTON DC 20374-5060

Western Maid

 

(Freighter: dp. 12,185; l. 423'9"; b. 54'0"; dph. 29'9"; dr. 24' ˝ "  (mean) ; s. 10.5 k.; cpl. 70; a. none)

 

Western Maid—a steel-hulled, single-screw freighter built as Aisne under a United States Shipping Board contract at Portland, Oreg., by the Northwestern Steel Co.—was launched on 8 July 1918; acquired by the Navy on 17 August 1918; designated Id. No. 3703; and commissioned on the same day, Lt. E. 0. Smith, USNRF, in command.

 

Assigned to the Naval Overseas Transportation Service, Western Maid departed Portland on 21 August, bound for Chile with a full cargo of flour. Loading a consignment of nitrate soon after her arrival at Arica, the cargo vessel sailed, via the Panama Canal, for the Gulf of Mexico and arrived at New Orleans on 23 October. Western Maid subsequently sailed for New York, N.Y., on 11 November, the day fighting stopped in Europe.

 

The cargo vessel arrived at New York on the 17th with 6,082 tons of general Army cargo on board. She sailed in convoy for northern Europe on 10 January, but engine trouble forced her to return to New York for repairs. She got underway again on the 14th. After visits to Plymouth and Falmouth, England, and to Rotterdam, Holland, Western Maid returned to the east coast, arriving at Baltimore, Md., on 12 March 1919. Western Maid was decommissioned on 20 March and returned to the Shipping Board, in whose custody she remained until abandoned in 1933