(Freighter: dp. 12,186; l. 423'9"; b. 54'; dr. 24'2" (mean); s. 10.5 k.; cpl. 75; a. none)
West Zucker—a steel-hulled, single-screw cargo freighter built under a United States Shipping Board (USSB) contract at Los Angeles, Calif., by the Los Angeles Shipbuilding and Drydock Co.—was completed late in 1918; inspected by the Navy on 4 November 1918; assigned the Id. No. 3584; and commissioned at San Pedro, Calif., on 20 November 1918, Lt. Comdr. Roy W. Look, USNRF, in command.
Following sea trials, West Zucker loaded a full cargo of flour and sailed for the east coast on 4 January 1919. Arriving at Hampton Roads, Va., on 22 March, via the Panama Canal, West Zucker unloaded her cargo and was decommissioned on 29 March. Simultaneously struck from the Navy list and transferred to the USSB on that day, the freighter remained in the hands of the Board until abandoned, due to age and deterioration, in 1933