West Nohno—a steel-hulled, single-screw freighter built under a United States Shipping Board contract by the Northwest Steel Corp., of Seattle, Wash., and completed in 1919—was inspected by the Navy for possible use by the Naval Overseas Transportation Service. She was found suitable for naval service and was assigned the Navy identification number, Id. No. 4029. However, she was never taken over.
After a career in merchant service between the World Wars, West Nohno was armed and assigned a Navy armed guard gun crew. She received one battle star for her service between 5 and 25 June 1944 in support of the Allied landings on the Normandy coast of France. West Nohno was sunk as a block ship off the San Lorenzo, France, beachhead on 16 July 1944