Return to DANFS IndexImage of an anchorReturn to Naval Historical Center homepage
flag banner
Dictionary of American Naval Fighting Ships banner
DEPARTMENT OF THE NAVY -- NAVAL HISTORICAL CENTER
805 KIDDER BREESE SE -- WASHINGTON NAVY YARD
WASHINGTON DC 20374-5060

West Mount

 

(Freighter: dp. 12,175; l. 423'9"; b. 54'0"; dph. 29'9"; dr. 23'11¼"; s. 9.5 k.; cpl. 75; a. 13")

 

West Mount—sometimes referred to as Westmount— was a steel-hulled, single-screw cargo vessel built under a United States Shipping Board contract for the Com-pagnie Generate of France. Constructed at Seattle, Wash., by the Ames Shipbuilding and Drydock Co. and launched on 16 April 1918, West Mount was taken over by the United States Navy for operation by the Naval Overseas Transportation Service (NOTS), assigned Id. No. 3202, and commissioned at Seattle on 21 May 1918.

 

West Mount—with a cargo of flour in her holds— departed Seattle on 23 May, bound for the east coast through the Panama Canal. After arriving at New York on 2 July, the freighter underwent repairs and sailed for France on the 13th. She made port at Bordeaux on the 29th, discharged her cargo, and sailed homeward with 1,000 tons of iron ore. She arrived at New York on 9 October.

 

The cargo vessel commenced her second wartime voyage for NOTS on 24 October and made port at Brest, France, on 8 November. Three days later, the armistice that stilled the guns on the Western Front was signed. West Mount subsequently departed Brest on 12 December, spent Christmas at sea, and arrived at New York on New Year's Day, 1919.

 

West Mount remained there long enough to load a cargo of flour and milk consigned to the Food Administration and got underway on 22 January 1919, bound via Gibraltar, for the Near East. After reaching Turkey, West Mount delivered her foodstuff at Constantinople and eventually returned home with 2,785 tons of return cargo for the Shipping Board. She arrived at Phildelphia on 1 May.

 

Decommissioned there on 31 May, West Mount was simultaneously struck from the Navy list and turned over to the Shipping Board. Subsequently referred to in mercantile lists as Westmount, the ship remained under government ownership into the late 1920's, after which time her name disappears from contemporary merchant ship registers.