(Freighter: dp. 12,225; l. 423'9"; b. 54'; dph. 29'9"; dr. 24'2" (mean); s. 11.5 k.; cpl. 94; a. 1 5", 1 3")
West Humhaw (Id. No. 3718)—a steel-hulled, single-screw freighter built under a United States Shipping Board contract at Seattle, Wash., by Skinner and Eddy Corp.—was launched on 28 August 1918 and was taken over by the Navy for use by the Naval Overseas Transportation Service (NOTS) at the Puget Sound Navy Yard, Bremerton, Wash., on 13 September. Assigned Identification Number 3718, West Humhaw was commissioned on 16 September at Seattle, Lt. Comdr. Arthur Ravens, USNRF, in command.
Loading a full cargo of flour, West Humhaw departed Seattle on 5 October, bound for the east coast. Proceeding via the Panama Canal, she arrived at New York City on the 31st and got underway for France on 12 November 1918. Reaching La Pallice two weeks later, she shifted to Bordeaux soon thereafter for unloading and sailed for home on 21 December.
Arriving at New York on 12 January 1919, West Humhaw was decommissioned on 27 Januarv and struck from the Navy list and returned to the Shipping Board the same day.
Operating out of Seattle under the Shipping Board from 1919 and into late 1928 or early 1929, the freighter was then acquired by the American-West African Line. She carried freight for this New York-based firm through the 1930's and into World War II. While in company with Convoy ON-143, she was torpedoed and sunk by U-163 in the North Atlantic on 8 November 1942.