Return to DANFS IndexImage of an anchorReturn to Naval Historical Center homepage
flag banner
Dictionary of American Naval Fighting Ships banner
DEPARTMENT OF THE NAVY -- NAVAL HISTORICAL CENTER
805 KIDDER BREESE SE -- WASHINGTON NAVY YARD
WASHINGTON DC 20374-5060

West Hosokie

 

(Freighter: dp. 12,100; l. 423'9"; b. 54'; dph. 29'9"; dr. 24' (mean) ; s. 11.5 k.; cpl. 70)

 

West Hosokie—a single-screw, steel-hulled freighter built under a United States Shipping Board contract at Seattle, Wash., by Skinner and Eddy Corp., and launched on 15 August 1918—was taken over by the Navy for duty with the Naval Overseas Transportation Service; assigned the identification number 3695; and commissioned on 29 August 1918, Lt. Comdr. Charles A. Wilson, USNRF, in command.

 

West Hosokie sailed on 7 September for Arica, Chile, where she loaded a cargo of guano upon arrival and sailed for the Gulf of Mexico. Reaching New Orleans on 12 November, via the Panama Canal, the freighter got underway on 20 November for Newport News, Va. There, she was partially loaded with Army cargo earmarked for the American Army in France and proceeded to Baltimore where she finished loading prior to sailing for France on 15 December.

 

After unloading at Verdon-sur-mer, West Hosokie, laden with Army return cargo, headed home on 14 February 1919, paused briefly at the Azores for provisions and fuel, and pushed on to Philadelphia, where she arrived on 10 March. She then discharged the Army return cargo, moved to New York, loaded more Army supplies slated for French ports, and sailed for France on 10 April.

 

Discharging her cargo upon her arrival at St. Nazaire, West Hosokie took on board Army ordnance materials, sailed for home soon thereafter, and reached Newport News on 20 June. Placed out of commission and struck from the Navy list on 2 July, West Hosokie was turned over to the Shipping Board on the same day. She subsequently operated out of Seattle, on the freight-carrying trade, until acquired, late in 1928 or early in 1929, by the Los Angeles Steamship Co., of Los Angeles, Calif.

 

Renamed Constance Chandler when acquired by the Matson Steamship Line in 1934 or 1935, she was later renamed Liloa in 1938 or 1939. She served in Matson livery until 1944, when she was turned over, by the War Shipping Administration, to the Soviet government. Renamed Belorussia, her subsequent activities under the Soviet flag are unrecorded; and she disappears into figurative mists in 1955.

 

 

West Hosokie (SP-3695) at Philadelphia, 11 March 1919. (NH48486)