West Honaker—a single-screw, steel-hulled freighter built at San Pedro, Calif., by the Los Angeles Shipbuilding and Drydock Co., and completed in 1920—was inspected by the Navy on 13 December 1921 for possible use as a service collier. Although assigned the Navy identification number, Id. No. 4455, she was never taken over by the Navy.
During World War II, West Honaker conducted cargo-carrying voyages with a Navy armed guard crew on board and received one battle star for her operations between 5 and 24 June 1944 during the Allied landings on Normandy beachheads.