(ScStr: dp. 12,186.5; l. 423'9"; b. 54'; dr. 25'2" (aft); s. 10.5 k.; cpl. 70; a. 1 5", 1 6-pdr.)
West Galoc (Id. No. 3347)—a freighter constructed for the United States Shipping Board in 1918 by the Los Angeles Shipbuilding & Drydock Co.—was acquired by the Navy on 21 August 1918 for duty with the Naval Overseas Transportation Service and was commissioned that same day at San Pedro, Calif., Lt. Comdr. Charles Clarkson, USNRF, in command.
Following trials, the steamer departed San Pedro on 24 September, bound for Arica, Chile. There, she loaded a cargo of nitrates and set course via the Panama Canal for the east coast of the United States. The ship arrived in Philadelphia on 31 October and delivered her nitrates. After repairs, she took on a general Army cargo destined for France. The freighter stood out of Philadelphia on 23 November and joined a transatlantic convoy. She arrived in Nantes on 9 December, unloaded, picked up an outbound cargo, and returned to sea on the 31st. The need for emergency repairs forced a stop at Gibraltar on 7 January 1919 and a week's delay before she could resume her voyage. West Galoc reached Baltimore on 1 February and immediately began preparations for a return voyage to France. After repairs and loading operations, she again sailed for Europe on 22 February. On 12 March, the freighter steamed into Verdon, France, and began unloading. At the conclusion of that task, she filled her cargo holds for return to the United States and left Verdon on 31 March. The ship arrived in Newport News, Va., at the end of a 17-day voyage. After unloading, she began preparations for demobilization. On 24 April 1919, she was placed out of commission and was returned to the United States Shipping Board. West Galoc served with the Shipping Board until 1931 when her name disappeared from all mercantile registers