(Freighter: dp. 12,424; l. 424'; b. 54'; dr. 24'0" (mean); s. 10 k.; cpl. 82; a. none)
West Corum—a steel-hulled, single-screw freighter built under a United States Shipping Board contract at Portland, Oreg., by the Columbia River Shipbuilding Corp.—was taken over by the Navy on 10 February 1919; and commissioned that same day, Lt. Comdr. Alfred G. Thompson, USNRF, in command.
West Corum departed the Pacific Northwest on 24 February, bound for the east coast with a cargo of flour. She transited the Panama Canal and arrived in Hampton Roads on 19 March. The cargo ship then proceeded on to the Near East; arrived at Constantinople, Turkey, on 18 April; and unloaded her cargo.
She got underway again on 1 May and headed home via Gibraltar. Arriving at Norfolk on 6 June, the ship was placed out of commission on 9 June 1919 and returned to the Shipping Board the same day. She operated under the Board's flag until scrapped in 1949.