A township in Hudson County, N.J., seven miles northeast of Jersy City. The name was originally an Algonquin Indian term and later changed by folk-usage to a pseudo-Dutch form. Its exact meaning is unclear, but variously translated as "place of gulls," "rocks that look like trees," "maize land," "at the end" (of the Palisades) and "field lying along the Hudson." Weehawken was the site of the duel between Alexander Hamilton and Aaron Burr on 11 July 1804.
(YTB-776: dp. 356 (f.); l. 109'; b. 31'; dr. 14'; s. 12 k.; cpl. 12; cl. Natick)
The third Weehawken (YTB-776) was laid down in August 1964 at Marinette, Wis., by the Marinette Marine Corp.; launched on 8 June 1965; delivered to the 9th Naval District in July 1965; and placed in service in the 14th Naval District during November 1965.
Weehawken has spent her entire Navy career serving the 14th Naval District which is comprised of the Hawaiian Islands and surrounding smaller islets. She has conducted routine towing operations between those islands and has rendered assistance to ships entering and clearing Pearl Harbor. As of December 1979, she was still active in the 14th Naval District.