Return to DANFS IndexImage of an anchorReturn to Naval Historical Center homepage
flag banner
Dictionary of American Naval Fighting Ships banner
DEPARTMENT OF THE NAVY -- NAVAL HISTORICAL CENTER
805 KIDDER BREESE SE -- WASHINGTON NAVY YARD
WASHINGTON DC 20374-5060

Webster-

Hobart Victory was laid down under a Maritime Commission contract (MCV hull 705) on 20 April 1945 at Richmond, Calif., by the Permanente Metals Corp.; launched on 25 May 1945; sponsored by Mrs. Tom Connally; and delivered to her initial owners, the Black Diamond Steamship Co., on 25 July 1945. On 24 January 1966, the name Webster and classification T-AG-190 were assigned to her after she and 14 sister ships had been earmarked to become "Special Project Ships" for the Military Sea Transportation Service (MSTS). However, only three of the 15 vessels were actually taken over by MSTS, and Hobart Victory was not one of them, so she never served in the Navy.


Robert J. Cressman