Return to DANFS IndexImage of an anchorReturn to Naval Historical Center homepage
flag banner
Dictionary of American Naval Fighting Ships banner
DEPARTMENT OF THE NAVY -- NAVAL HISTORICAL CENTER
805 KIDDER BREESE SE -- WASHINGTON NAVY YARD
WASHINGTON DC 20374-5060

Weazel

 

A small, carnivorous animal—found in Europe, Asia, and North America—which is a bold and often savage hunter, preying chiefly on small mammals.

 

Commencing with a sloop which entered service in 1704, 12 ships named Weazle, or Weasel, served in the Royal Navy.

 

(BAT-14: dp. 763; l. 143'0"; b. 33'0"; dr. 13'6"; s. 14 k.; cpl. 34; a. 1 3", 4 20mm.; cl. BAT)

 

Weazel (BAT-14)—Gulf port Hull No. 208—was laid down on 30 October 1942, at Port Arthur, Tex., by the Gulf port Boiler and Welding Works; launched on 21 February 1943; and delivered to the United Kingdom on 10 April 1943 and commissioned in the Royal Navy on the same day.

 

Weazel served under the White Ensign through both V-E and V-J days, apparently ending up her service days in the Royal Navy with the British Pacific Fleet. Transferred back to the United States Navy at Subic Bay, Philippines, on 11 March 1946, the salvage and rescue tug was struck from the Navy list on 12 April 1946. Transferred to the Foreign Liquidation Commission for disposal soon thereafter, the ship was purchased by Bosey on 17 September 1946. One source indicates that she was to be converted for mercantile service, but records of this service, if any, cannot be found.