Towns in Iowa, New York, Ohio, and Tennessee.
(PC-1225: dp. 280; l. 173'8"; b. 23'0"; dr. 10'10"; s. 20.2 k. (tl.) ; cpl. 65; a. 1 3", 1 40mm., 2 dcp. (mousetrap), 2 dct.; cl. PC-461)
PC-1225 was laid down on 10 June 1942 at Sturgeon Bay, Wis., by the Leathern D. Smith Shipbuilding Co.; launched on 7 September 1942; sponsored by Mrs. Jean Hellber; delivered to the Navy on 2 January 1943; and commissioned on 12 January 1943 at New Orleans, La., Lt. A. J. McCrudden, USNR, in command.
Following shakedown in the Gulf of Mexico early in 1943, she guarded convoys on the New York to Guan-tanamo Bay run. That duty lasted until 5 January 1944 at which time she headed for Great Britain to begin preparations for the invasion of Normandy scheduled for June. She spent the ensuing months operating along the southern coast of England patrolling and practicing for the invasion.
During the 6 June assault, PC-1225 anchored two miles off Omaha beach and served as an amphibious control ship helping guide the landing craft to their proper beaches. After D-day, she began escorting cross-channel troop and supply convoys and conducted patrols off the French ports of Le Havre, Cherbourg, Granville, and St. Malo. While performing that duty, she participated in two rescue operations. On 2 July 1944, SS Empire Broadsword struck an air-dropped mine; and PC-1225 picked up 70 survivors from the wreck. Later in the year—on Christmas Eve Day 1944—she screened rescuers as they picked up survivors from SS Leopold-mile, a British troopship torpedoed near Cherbourg. For the first months of 1945, she patrolled near the still-occupied Channel Islands and, on one occasion, drew fire from the German garrison isolated on Guernsey. In May, after the Germans had surrendered, the subchaser was part of the contingent which reoccupied the Channel Islands for the Allies.
She participated in a naval gun salute at Omaha beach on the first anniversary of D-day, 6 June 1945, and later that day departed European waters, bound for home. Steaming by the way of the Azores and Bermuda, the little warship arrived in Key West on 21 June. She soon began repairs at Charleston, S.C., in preparation for her scheduled reassignment to the Pacific theater. However, the end of the war with Japan caught her still undergoing repairs at Charleston, S.C.
On 10 September, the ship received instructions to air-sea rescue duty with the Atlantic Fleet. On the 30th, she arrived in Argentina, Newfoundland, to begin that assignment. Early in 1946, she served briefly with the Operational Development Force before reporting in April for her preinactivation overhaul. PC-1225 was placed out of commission on 18 July 1946 and was berthed at Green Cove Springs, Fla. She remained there for over a decade. In mid-February 1956, she was named Waverly; however, she carried that name only briefly. On 5 September 1957, her name was struck from the Navy list. She was sold to F&A Transportation of New Jersey on 1 July 1958