A village in northwestern Ohio about 32 miles west of Toledo. It is the seat of government for Fulton County.
(PC-1229: dp. 280; l. 173'8"; b. 23'0"; dr. 10'10"; s. 20.2 k. (tl.); cpl. 65; a. 1 3", 1 40mm., 2 dcp. (mousetrap), 2 dct.; cl. PC-461)
PC-1229 was laid down on 7 September 1942 by the Leatham D. Smith Shipbuilding Co. at Sturgeon Bay, Wis.; launched on 19 December 1942; sponsored by Mrs. C. -D. Brower; and moved to New Orleans, La., where she was commissioned on 11 June 1942, Lt. Gordon A. Weller, USNR, in command.
She departed New Orleans on 23 June for her shakedown cruise and antisubmarine warfare (ASW) training out of Miami and Key West, Fla. Upon completion of training, she began duty with the forces attached to the Gulf Sea Frontier which occupied her until late December. Her primary responsibilities centered on protecting coastwise convoys travelling between gulf coast and West Indian ports from Galveston, Tex., as far east as Guantanamo Bay, Cuba.
By the end of 1943, the major U-boat danger in the Gulf of Mexico had passed, and PC-1229 received orders to join the Pacific Fleet. She arrived in the Canal Zone on 23 December, transited the canal sometime between then and 9 January 1944, and then continued her voyage west. Heading by way of the South Pacific, she made a brief stop at Bora Bora in the Society Islands on 1 February, another at Tongatabu in the Friendly Islands on the 8th, and arrived in Noumea, New Caledonia, on the 13th. The subchaser served at Noumea for almost a year, guarding the harbor and anchorage against a possible Japanese submarine attack.
In December 1944, she embarked upon a voyage which took her to the southern Solomons at mid-month and to Sydney, Australia, in mid-January 1945. From Sydney, she returned to Purvis Bay in the southern Solomons and thence voyaged to Espiritu Santo in the New Hebrides group where she arrived on 17 February. She served at Espiritu Santo for about seven weeks, returning to Noumea on 6 April. There, she remained until late July when she moved to the Fiji Islands for duty at Suva during August and September. During this assignment, the war in the Pacific ended; and, by 2 October, she returned to Guadalcanal in the Solomons.
On 3 November, the subchaser returned to Noumea. After almost three months at Noumea, PC-1229 headed home on 26 January 1946. Steaming via Tutuila, Samoa, and Palmyra Island, the ship arrived in Pearl Harbor on 12 February. She remained in Hawaii for five weeks, resuming her voyage east on 19 March. She stopped at San Pedro, Calif., for three weeks, from 27 March to 19 April, before resuming her journey home by way of the Panama Canal to the east coast. The subchaser arrived in Key West, Fla., on 10 May and served there until 21 June when she got underway for Green Cove Springs, Fla., and inactivation. PC-1229 was decommissioned on 7 August 1946 and was berthed with the Atlantic Reserve Fleet at Green Cove Springs. There, she remained for the rest of her Navy career. On 15 February 1956, she was named Wauseon, a name she carried only 19 months. On 5 September 1957, her name was struck from the Navy list. She was sold to the Boston Metals Co., of Baltimore, Md., on 1 July 1958 for scrapping.