One of the "Four Lakes" of Dane County, southern Wisconsin; located four miles southeast of Madison.
(ScStr: dp. 12,225; l. 419'V2"; b. 54'0"; dr. 25'2" (mean); dph. 32'10"; s. 11.0 k.; cpl. 89)
Waubesa—a steel-hulled, single-screw freighter built under a United States Shipping Board contract in 1918 by the Merchants' Shipbuilding Corp. of Bristol, Pa.— was inspected by the Navy in the 4th Naval District, designated Id. No. 3955, and earmarked for possible service as a collier in the Naval Overseas Transportation Service (NOTS). An order dated 13 August 1918 specified that, upon completion, the ship was to be turned over to the Navy for operation in NOTS (Army account). She is listed in the 1918 issue of Ship's Data, U.S. Naval Vessels, but the succeeding volume (1919) states that the ship was not, in fact, taken over.