Return to DANFS IndexImage of an anchorReturn to Naval Historical Center homepage
flag banner
Dictionary of American Naval Fighting Ships banner
WASHINGTON DC 20374-5060



The name of a succession of Mdewakanton Sioux chiefs whose lineage extends forward from time immemorial into the 20th century. Wapasha I (1718-1799) formed a friendship with the governing British and served them during the American Revolution; Wapasha II (d. 1855), on the other hand, formed a friendship with the fledgling American nation and, although nominally allied with the British during the War of 1812, did not take part in hostilities; Wapasha III (also named Joseph Wapasha) led his people to the Sioux reservation at the head of the Minnesota River; and Wapasha IV (also known as Napoleon Wapasha) became a United States citizen in 1909.


(YN-45: t. 200; l. 94'4 ½"; b. 25'0"; dr. 8'6"; s. 13 k.; a. 2 .30-cal. mg.)


William J. Moran—a steel-hulled, single-screw tug completed in September 1938 at Bay City, Mich., by the Defoe Boat and Motor Works, Inc.—was acquired by the Navy from the Moran Towing and Transportation Co., of New York City, on 9 December 1940. The tug was classified as a net tender, renamed Wapasha, and designated YN-45 on 25 December 1940. Converted for naval use at the New York Navy Yard, Wapasha, was placed in service on 27 January 1941.


After shifting to her home port, Boston, Mass., on 1 February, she took up her net tending duties in Narragansett Bay, based at the naval training station. During her service there—which lasted into 1947— she was twice reclassified: on 8 April 1942, Wapasha was reclassified a tug-class net tender and redesignated YNT-13; and, on 4 August 1945, she was reclassified a large harbor tug and redesignated YTB-737.


Placed out of service on 11 February 1947, Wapasha was struck from the Navy list on 11 March and turned over to the Maritime Commission for disposal on 16 May. Acquired by Tug Anne Moran, Inc., of New York, N.Y., the vessel was renamed Anne Moran and performs harbor tug services in New York harbor into 1977.