Probably a variant spelling of Wahneta (q.v.).
(YT-384: dp. 218; l. 101'0"; b. 25'0"; dr. 10'0"; s. 11 k.; cpl. 10; el. Pessacus)
Waneta (YT-384) was laid down on 8 September 1943 at Brooklyn, N.Y., by Ira S. Bushey and Sons; launched on 24 December 1943; and completed and delivered to the Navy on 25 April 1944.
Reclassified a large harbor tug, YTB-384, on 15 May 1944, Waneta was initially allocated to the Pacific Fleet's service force and operated actively in her designed role until placed out of service, in reserve, in March 1946. Berthed at San Diego, Calif., Waneta remained inactive until placed in service once again in October 1953 for duty in the 6th Naval District, Charleston, S.C.
Waneta performed tug and tow services and stood ready to provide waterfront fire protection and pilotage, at Charleston, into the 1970's. Inactivated and placed out of service early in 1974, Waneta was struck from the Navy list on 1 April of that year and was sold in February 1975. During her nearly two decades of service in the 6th Naval District, the ship was reclassified a medium harbor tug, YTM-384, in February 1962 and carried that classification for the rest of her active service.